Questionaire to subsystems
This is a compilation of questions to the various subsystems
in order to obtain a detailed feedback - thus allowing a detailed
planing of the HERA-B detector startup and recommissioning period
(Sept 01 - April 02). For the first steps (until end of 2001)
there is clearly a more detailed and precise feedback anticipated.
Please read it carefully and answer
the questions related to your subsystem and
activities latest until Aug. 10, 2001 !
-> please associate the names of the responsible persons for the various tasks !
Feel free to comment also the questionnaire: something forgotten, misleading,
Not all questions are addressed to all groups, following abbreviations are used:
0. Step: July/Aug 01 - technical commissioning on
ALL: is the necessary work organized and sufficent manpower available ?
Things which should be taken into account:
- check cabling
- test readout
- test of slow control functionality
- configuration and calibration data stored in database
!!! DAQ group (Vladimir Rybnikov + ....) is planning to move all components executable to
a common repository during the last two weeks in August !!!
Upgrade of FCS software expected to be available beginning of Sept.
1. Step: Sept 01 - subsystems technical operational
& "Dry Runs"
SD: Is your subsystem by end of Sept ready to participate with all
its components in a first "dry run" to check the common operation, control and readout ?
- readout working and checked
- cabling checked
- slow control working
Who is coordinating this effort, who are your responsible exports ?
What are the potential problems & risks which might prevent your
system from achieving this goal?
DAQ: which preparations are necessary to perform a dry run with
read out (eg configuration, DBs, ...) ?
ALL: - provide a list of things which has to be checked and established
- estimate how much time is needed
proposed dates for dry runs (two periods) - please prepare accordingly:
1. Mo/Tu 24/25. Sept - next collab. week (to avoid add. traveling)
2. Mo - Wed 15 - 17 Oct
SD & DAQ: provide a list of experts which are responsible and
available for these periods!
2. Step: Sept/Oct 01 - occasional beam operation
Target & VDS: what is necessary to commission target operation
and pot movement? How much beam time ? Who is responsible ?
ECAL: ready to take advantage of potential opportunities for calibration ?
SD: are you interested in following run conditions
(on short term notice, i.e. days, announced)
- period without beam, eg to switch on HV
- period with stable p-beam/no target
- period with target operation
Comment on: minimal prewarning time, minimal required time
and other requirements which are necessary that you can profit
from such an exercise
3. Step: Nov/Dec 01 - switch on, calibration &
Goal is to achieve a stable common operation of the detector
and readout MinBias data.
ALL: - how much time do you need for this commissioning step
Please provide a detailed list with the various items,
required target operation time & conditions, necessary data
sets, time needed for analysis.
- how to judge on the performance / progress/ success ?
eg. noise level, calibration, alignment, hit & track efficiencies ?
How much time is needed to obtain these values ?
- does the progress in your system (incl the understanding of the data)
depend on other systems ? If yes - please explain.
- what about your data quality monitors ?
are they working in Dec and provide useful info ?
- what are your biggest concerns for this period, potential risks ...?
- do you think its feasible to achieve this goal ?
- please assign the names of the responsible persons to the various tasks
4. Step: Jan/Feb 02: fine tuning of detector - start
-> provide at least a concise outline, details might be discussed at a later stage
SD: what is needed to obtain a well calibrated and alligned detector
latest until Feb 02 ?
What is the minimum time and which data sets you need ?
DQM: is it feasible to obtain a stable and usable system in Jan
Which preparation is therefore needed ?
4LT: what is needed to run the reconstruction online ?
pTr: which preparation etc is needed to allow the usage of your
in Feb 02:
- lookup-tables, settings in DB, ...
- minimal/preferred performance
- are dedicated tests necessary/useful to prepare your system ?
SLT: what is necessary to have by the end of Feb 02 1000 J/\psis
- preparation steps
- minimal performance
- understanding of the detector
Analysis: of SLT triggered J/\psi data
- what is needed to perform an analysis of these data in order to obtain
efficiencies, resolution ... ?
All: please associate names to the listed tasks
5. Step: Mar/Apr 02: FLT commissioning
-> at least a rough outline, details might be discussed at a later stage
FLT: please provide an outline of your commissioning plans:
- list necessary tests
- required performance of other systems
- analysis steps
- time estimates
- responsible persons
- potential problems