|handy||0170 7807414 (VDS)|
1.Log on hb-con09
as xuser (ask VDS expert for pwd - one
such windows is typically open at the VDS terminal hb-cr11)
2.type ps -waux | grep spsd
3.type kill -9 <id> if the process was there
4.type /home/vdslow/spsctrl_new/spsd & (must wait a few minutes after killing it, otherwise it doesn't start)
5.when spsd is there, restart the GUI on hb-cr11
If one or more channels of Chip Power are switched off (typically is because of overheating), they must be turned on again through the SPS control GUI:
1. select the channels(s)
in the leftmost column (they turn yellow)
2. hit Set (they turn Grey first, then Green).
3. Initialise now the Helix chips by starting a new run or with the the standalone procedure described at the beginning of the VDS expert page
In the described case in which one or more channels of Chip
Power are switched off, the
Slow Control process
Power will issue alarm.
After the Power is on again, the alarm has to be cleared manually. To do so, the SC process Chip Power must be set to Initialise first, then in Safe or Ready.
Sometimes an alarm persists, even after this, which means that the communication with the spsd is lost. In this case you must kill and restart the spsd as described above
and initialise->safe/ready the SC process Chip Power
DO NOT IGNORE the Slow Control CHIP POWER ALARM as we risk to waste precious data taking time. IF THERE'S AN ALARM, EITHER SOME POWER IS OFF OR COMMUNICATION WITH THE SPSD IS BROKEN -> IN EITHER CASE THE DESCRIBED ACTIONS MUST BE TAKEN
Since the implementation of the NT based system, the insertion/retraction procedure has become substancially reliable, the user interaction needed is minimal and is summarised below. Instructions for the old system can be found here
In order to Insert/Retract, the Controller Power and the Enable Radial must be ON. You find the corresponding push-buttons in the Slow Control Hardware Panel in the Control Room.
Insertion: Press the INSERT button on the VDS Manipulator Steering terminal in the Control Room
Retraction: Press the RETRACT button on the VDS Manipulator Steering terminal in the Control Room
on the screen the stations turn to orange while moving (the button turns to BUSY), then yellow when reaching the correct position
If during the Insert/Retract procedure some error message appears on the screen:
- hit again the INSERT/RETRACT button; keep trying several times if the error persists.
- if still not successful, it's advised to power-cycle and re-boot the controller:
1. Set the Enable Radial to OFF in the Slow Control Hardware Panel
2. Set the Controller Power to OFF in the Slow Control Hardware Panel (this can be done at any stage of Insertion/Retraction while motors are NOT running))
3. Wait until all stations are RED in the screen -> IMPORTANT! (it might take 10 to 30 seconds)
4. Set the Controller Power to ON and then the Enable Radial to ON
5. Hit OK for all the re-parametrisation messages which will appear on the screen
6. Go ahead with Insert/Retract
- If the INSERT/RETRACT button still shows BUSY after the power-cycling, try to hit FAST-STOP, then the INSERT/RETRACT button should become released
It might sometimes be necessary to kill and restart the program. This can be done if:
- Motors are NOT running
- Controller power stays up
After restarting the program (icon only), ALWAYS load the configuration 1.
As long as you do not have a special instruction, do NEVER touch "expert" option of the manipulators
If hopelessy stuck, contact the manipulators expert M. Braeuer
Updated Dec. 12th by Gianfranco Sciacca